Subject: Re: qt3-tools on OS X
To: John D. Baker <jdbaker@mylinuxisp.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/18/2005 11:20:40
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, John D. Baker wrote:

> > If dlopen(3) is being used in qt3-libs (as referenced by qt3-tools), then
> > qt3-libs should include "../../mk/dlopen.buildlink3.mk", which (among other
> > important things for proper dlopen support) adds -ldl for Darwin.  The
> > inclusion should be in both the qt3-libs Makefile and buildlink3.mk.
>
> Following the patch for qt3-libs, it builds and installs just fine on
> MacOS X 10.2.8.  It would appear that qt3-libs does not require the cited
> buildlink3 file.

That may be true, and indeed it may not be needed in qt3-libs itself;
however:

> But the qt3-tools package has many unresolved references to the symbols
> noted above.  I've been manually adding "-ldl" to the LIBS definition
> in various package Makefiles (which appear to be generated by other
> scripting) and restarting the build.

And that's why dlopen.buildlink3.mk needs to be in the bl3 file for
qt3-libs, since that's what users of qt3-libs themselves include.

However, if the dlopen calls are actually being made in qt3-libs itself,
then qt3-libs/Makefile also needs the include so as to ensure that
dependencies (such as the one on devel/dlcompat for older Darwin!) are
properly registered.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>