Subject: How to keep pkg_chk from uninstalling my compiler?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Idar Tollefsen <idart@performancedesign.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/18/2005 12:23:20
Hello,

I installed GCC 3.4 on Solaris 10 from pkgsrc. When I now run pkg_chk to upgrade
packages, and it wants to upgrade gmp for instance, it rips out the compiler
from underneath itself and the upgrade fails.

I used GCC 3.3 from SunFreeware.com to build GCC 3.4, but uninstalled it again
after 3.4 was in.

Is there a way to instruct pkg_chk to leave the installed GCC 3.4 alone?

On a slightly longer note; I'm used to the FreeBSD ports collection where
portupgrade only uninstalls the exact port it's upgrading, and only after it has
finished building the replacement. Even then, it backs up the original so it can
restore it if installation fails. Can the same be achieved with pkg_chk or other
pkgtools?

- IT