Subject: Re: ${ENV} vs. ${SETENV}
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2005 10:15:26
Alistair Crooks wrote:
> Oh, and please don't anyone change ${SETENV} to be ${ENV} - I'd have
> thought the ksh ${ENV} would be reason enough to see why not, as has
> already been mentioned.

That's right. And, effectively, I just wanted to know the reason for
this renaming. One reason for providing the proposed platform.default.mk
file was to have a single point where such things can be documented.

While we're at it, would you mind renaming SETENV to ENV_CMD? That is
the pattern used for the other tools that have their "real name"
environment variable reserved.

Sadly, I got no feedback about my second approach of
platform.default.mk. The argument of Hubert still stands that my version
might be slower than the current one. But compared to other components
of pkgsrc, I think this is negligible.

Roland