Subject: Re: Package removal suggestions
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2005 19:03:00
coda5_{client,server} are obsolete, but are useful in producing
coda6 packages.

The coda sources make the client/server split awkward since they don't
have mutually exclusive and jointly exhaustive install targets.* But,
all of lwp, rpc2, rvm, and coda is 6701 (du -k) on i386, so it may be
the lesser evil to just package coda as a single package.  Anyone who
can't spare 1 MB to have the server binary present when unneeded
doesn't have space for a client cache anyway.  So, I think we should
just have "coda", which does both client-install and server-install,
unless someone steps up to split it.  I can try to make a single coda
package - handling the split has been the big hurdle that I haven't
had the time/energy to clear.

* Linux packaging systems seem to support  a single install and then
  split the file set into separate packages ("devel" vs not), in
  particular the .so and the .a end up different.  If pkgsrc could so
  this, we could a) make devel packages to save space and b) split
  coda easily.  But this is a lot of work.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>