Subject: Re: Package removal suggestions
To: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
From: Michael Rauch <mrauch@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2005 09:13:17
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:46:15PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:18:00PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > Obsoleted by misc/openoffice{,-bin}:
> > misc/staroffice
>
> Aren't these quite different packages?

well, in some sense yes. This package is version 5.1, so it's horribly
outdated, the binary can't be downloaded any longer, and it probably has
many unknown security problems.
A current version of StarOffice (7.0) is quite similar to
OpenOffice.org, they use the same CVS tree, but has some additional
modules, for which Sun has licences to include in binaries, but not to
open-source them. As you have to pay for recent versions, I definitely
wouldn't object to a package, but I'm not too convinced if it's really
useful (and you'd need a volunteer to write it, although most can
probably taken from the openoffice-bin package).

Michael