Subject: Re: ${ENV} vs. ${SETENV}
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/10/2005 20:17:17
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I find it _extremely_ helpful to use something like the following:
> -SETENV?=	/usr/bin/env
> +SETENV?=	/usr/bin/env -i
>
> This ensures my well-populated private environment doesn't affect any
> build in any unexpected way (only the pkgsrc makefiles themselves pay

Wow ... that seems drastic.  It isn't only pitching non-pkgsrc stuff
in your environment ... in each individual shell command line that uses
${SETENV}, it's pitching *everything that isn't explicitly being added
to the environment in that line*.  I'm surprised it hasn't given you
headaches.

I wonder if some way to actually say "pitch my personal environment, preserve
everything pkgsrc sets up" would be worth having.  Hmm, "env -i make ..."
would just about do it.

-Chap