Subject: Re: Reading the netbsd quarterly report
To: Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/10/2005 09:54:48
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Marc Espie wrote:

> Warning, Troll ahead.

Obviously.  And turnabout is fair trolling.

> > Following the discovery of weaknesses in the SHA1 algorithm Alistair
> > Crooks demonstrated once more the proactive approach NetBSD takes
> > towards security and committed modifications to pkgsrc to allow
> > multiple digests to check the distfiles as downloaded from the
> > internet for integrity.

> Well, I'll take the paranoid approach of OpenBSD over the `proactive
> approach of NetBSD any day.

It's all marketing, obviously.  Like the blatant lie (or at least *extreme*
stretching of the truth) right on the OpenBSD homepage:

    "Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 8 years!"

Of course the key here is "remote".  If you remove that one word -- because
OpenBSD ships with pretty much EVERYTHING network-aware shut off by default!
-- that becomes a tangible lie.

At least we're being upwardly honest here and not sugar coating our users'
buttocks with marketing bullshit.

'Nuff said.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>