Subject: ImageMagick being build without threads
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Idar Tollefsen <idart@performancedesign.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/09/2005 14:09:16
Hello,

What's the reasoning behind --without-threads in
graphics/ImageMagick/Makefile.common?

It was introduced in version 1.59 of the Makefile before the split to
Makefile.common. The comment for v1.59 says it's the update to
ImageMagick 5.2.2 and the change log describes improvements in
thread-safety and how that version was thread-safe when used with POSIX
threads. It also says it was not completely thread-safe under Mac or
Windows. Is that why --without-threads was introduced? If so, is this
still necessary?

I have been using ImageMagick on OS X, built with threads, in my own
multithreaded programs for a little over a year and have not seen any
indications that it isn't thread safe.

- IT