Subject: Re: ${ENV} vs. ${SETENV}
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/2005 14:27:53
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > > If not, I'd like to rename SETENV to ENV and provide a fallback
> > > SETENV?=${ENV} for the time of transition.

> I think this is mostly historic. When we started pkgsrc, very few such
> "tool"-variables were used, and SETENV was/is used to indicate what was
> happening, not how.

Right.  At one time I had some odd interactions with direct Bourne variable
assignment at the start of a command, but I can't remember why anymore.

In any case, if the variable is kept, it must *not* be named ENV, as that
name does indeed have very huge meaning to sh(1).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>