Subject: Re: ${ENV} vs. ${SETENV}
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/2005 20:20:07
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Roland Illig wrote:
>> I wonder why the variable for the command set(1) is called SETENV instead
>> of ENV (see mk/platform/*.mk for definitions). Is there any special reason
>> for it to differ from the convention that each tool gets its uppercase name
>> as a variable?
>>
>> If not, I'd like to rename SETENV to ENV and provide a fallback
>> SETENV?=${ENV} for the time of transition.
>
> Replaced all SET with ENV (was a typo).

I think this is mostly historic. When we started pkgsrc, very few such
"tool"-variables were used, and SETENV was/is used to indicate what was
happening, not how.

Changing this may make sense. (Other opinions welcome!)

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)