Subject: Re: mk/OpSys.dist files
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/2005 19:50:21
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I believe the idea is to get rid of the mtree specification files and get
> rid of the functionality for pre-creating the directories.

That would be a great idea. I am also using pkgsrc as non-root user, and
always edit uname/gname in the file and then copy it to
${PREFIX}/pkg.dist. That's annoying.

By the way, non-root installations aren't very well supported, are they?
Some days ago I tried to port pkgsrc to HP-UX as a non-root user, and I
had to adjust DOCOWN=${BINOWN}, ROOT_USER=${BINOWN}, etc.

I once suggested a variable PKGSRC_OPTIONS for this case, which would be
a list of these values:

     nonroot -- assume that the user does not have root access,
                neither when building a package nor when installing it.
     developer -- enable PLIST checks and the like.
     quiet -- MAKE_FLAGS+=-s and CONFIGURE_ARGS+=-q for GNU_CONFIGURE.

Is anyone interested that I integrate the PKGSRC_OPTIONS into pkgsrc?

Roland