Subject: Re: mk/OpSys.dist files
To: Roland Illig <roland.illig@gmx.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/08/2005 10:06:19
On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Roland Illig wrote:

> Johnny Lam wrote:
> > Roland Illig wrote:
> >> would it be hard to move mk/*.dist into mk/platform/ and adjust
> >> pkgsrc to it? I think the latter is a better place for these files.
> >
> > This idea wasn't so well-received when I proposed it a while ago.
>
> Then I don't understand what the directory "platform" is for, if not for
> platform-specific files. I couldn't find your proposal in the mailing
> list archive.
>
> Could someone please tell me why the files should _not_ be placed in
> mk/platform?

I believe the idea is to get rid of the mtree specification files and get
rid of the functionality for pre-creating the directories.

They are not used for pkgviews.

They create many directories that are not needed.

USE_DIRS and mk/dirs.mk and misc/*-dirs seems to work fine for some cases.

The mtree complains a lot in non-rooot environments where it can't set the
user/group. (This is any easy fix, and I think I saw a patch for a mtree
switch to turn this off.)

As for me, I don't use the USE_MTREE on a few systems now for a couple
years.

(I do like mtree as an easy and quick to implement file integrity checker
though!)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/