Subject: Re: gtk2+-2.6.4nb1: glib2 wrong libgobject version
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2005 09:35:18
Hello and thanks for the reply,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:33:14PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> But then it happened to me again -- this is what hit me yesterday when
> building gtk2+ (because dependencies allowed it):
> $ ldd /usr/lib/
> =>  (0xffffe000)
> => not found
> => /usr/lib/ (0xb7eca000)
>         /usr/lib/ (0x80000000)
> So I rebuilt pkgsrc/net/libIDL:
> $ ldd /usr/lib/
> =>  (0xffffe000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0xb7f4a000)
> => /usr/lib/ (0xb7e4d000)
>         /usr/lib/ (0x80000000)
> Maybe check your libIDL, pango, or atk. Maybe one or all needs to be
> rebuilt for you.

You got it. Since 'transitivity' is involved via shared libraries,
the ELF rpath registered in libatk is against libgobject (and others)
taking into account the minor :

	 -lgobject-2.0.400 => not found
	 -lgmodule-2.0.400 => not found
	 -lglib-2.0.400 => not found

At least theoretically, the requirements glib2>=2.4.0 should be set to
glib2==2.4.0 if the whole rpath is registered in the lib with the minor.
Or, if major/minor logic is respected, the library should be linked with
the reference of the major only, allowing updates.

But indeed, you are right: problem occurs from other components involved
in the build.

Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>  |