Subject: Couple of problems with Xorg server
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2005 15:43:22
On some of our systems I'm running a (pkgsrc built) xorg-server on an
otherwise xsrc based world in order to support the particular graphics card
in those systems (ATI Radeon X300) and everything generally works well apart
from two problems I've noticed.

1) The xorg server doesn't support the virtual console switching that our
xfree server in xsrc does so I can't quickly toggle to a text console when I
need one.

2) The xorg server doesn't support the Xkb stuff, which manifests itself in
various ways such as emacs treating the backspace and delete keys as the
same, various kde keyboard support not working, or more obviously:

with the xsrc server "xkbcomp :0" produces a server-0.xkb file that starts:

	xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" {
	    minimum = 8;
	    maximum = 255;
	     <ESC> = 9;
	    <AE01> = 10;
		[...]

whereas with the xorg server "xkbcomp :0"  prints out:
	Warning:          Could not load keyboard geometry for :0
	                  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
	                  Resulting keymap file will not describe geometry

and the resulting file starts:
	xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes "unknown" {
	    minimum = 8;
	    maximum = 255;
	    indicator 1 = "Caps Lock";
		[...]

any suggestions on how to fix either/both of these problems would be
appreciated.  Alternatively if someone tells me the X300 is supported by
XFree 4.5  that would do as well (I had a quick look and decided it wasn't)

cheers
mark