Subject: Re: Have pkgsrc building make use of SMP?
To: None <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2005 16:01:32
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Lars Nordlund wrote:
> > Don't you ever build for example emacs and xmms at the same time, g=
iven
> > that you already have X and possibly other basic packages installed=
?

> no. :)
>
> So you basically want to work around the bug of make -jX not working =

> properly... hard to say anything against that.

Isn't what you are thinking of here "the problem that several packages
have not been prepared for parallel build using 'make -jX' with X>1"?

If that's the case, then it's not so much a case of a bug in make, but
rather a problem with insufficiently specified dependencies in the
packages' Makefiles.  Since we're talking about third-party software
typically not exposed to parallel builds, I'd say it would be
difficult at best to fix all of pkgsrc's package Makefiles to play
nice with "make -jX", so following that avenue of attack to making
good use for more than one CPU is going to be an uphill battle at
best.

Going into whishlist mode: Making use of multiple CPUs on a single
physical machine could be the relatively simple first step in making
it possible to spread package builds across multiple machines in order
to speed up package builds for a given architecture...  Clustered bulk
builds, anyone?

Regards,

- H=E5vard