Subject: Re: bootstrap/bmake vs devel/bmake
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2005 20:34:52
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 10:21:48AM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> > Is there any bootstrap/bmake binary package ?
> > Is that meaningfull ?
>
> Actually, that's kind of why I'm asking.  I was looking into creating a
> binary package for bootstrap-pkgsrc.

the answer is that nobody has yet done the work required to update
bootstrap to use devel/bmake, as it is likely to cause a bit of
breakage..

to be fair, I actually like the fact that bootstrap currently uses an
old(er) bmake, because it keeps things in pkgsrc using the lowest
common denominator, and not using make modifiers that don't exist in
older bmake, which would break things on eg. NetBSD 1.6 and other
systems.

of course, at some point, this should still be done...

grant.