Subject: Re: INSTALL_DATA etc: where are wildcards supposed to be expanded?
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Georg Schwarz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2005 03:21:02
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > I noticed some packages, e.g. www/analog, use wildcard (*) expressions
> > as arguments for INSTALL_DATA.
> > Where are these arguments supposed to be expanded?
> > By bmake? By the install program? Somewhere else?
> all:
>  	echo *
> ^- for that case, make calls a shell, and runs the name command ("echo *")
> in there. In that case, the shell will expand the wildcard (as usual).

works as supposed.

Thanks for the input.

After some digging through code and a number of experiments it looks like it
can be tracked down to a problem with my version of sed which seems to
truncate arguments :-(((

lorenz 176% echo work/analog-6.0/lang/* | sed -e 's/fregregregre43//' | wc -c
lorenz 177% echo work/analog-6.0/lang/* | wc -c

the above sed should not really match anything, so it should be a transparent

For comparison:

lorenz 178% echo work/analog-6.0/lang/* | /usr/local/pkg/bin/gsed -e 's/fregregregre43//' | wc -c

Should I say closed-source systems suck? :-/

This makes it even more important to have buildlink map such tools to
the respective setting (here $SED). This would solve lots of problems for
me and immediately allow to close quite a number of PRs.
Here one could use USE_GNU_TOOLS+=sed, but I have often similar issues
with mkdir, cp, mv, etc.
Maybe someone can look into the proposal I made a few weeks back.

Georg Schwarz  +49 178 8545053