Subject: Re: setting compiler flags globally?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2005 13:40:02
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Is there a variable for mk.conf that allows setting compiler flags for
> (really) all pkgs? I understand that CFLAGS etc. are often overridden by
> individual pkgs' Makefiles, so something acting on the wrapper layer would
> probably be useful. Maybe a PKGSRC_CFLAGS?

The tradition is to fix packages to obey the settings of all of the
following:

    CPPFLAGS (optionally integrated into CFLAGS)
    CFLAGS
    LIBS (optionally integrated into LDFLAGS)
    LDFLAGS

I think it's good practice to keep this tradition, as it has let us generate
appropriate feedback changes for maintainers to fix their upstream distros.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but does this cover what you want?

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>