Subject: Re: print-la-libnames and not found and added to PLIST
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/05/2005 10:16:38
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> So gettext-0.14.3 lists some archives files in libtool la files that end
> up not being installed.
>
> The Makefiles remove the files at installation time; the comments say:
> # No need to install libgettextsrc.a, except on AIX.
> # No need to install libgettextlib.a, except on AIX.

Why are these libraries not needed on non-AIX platforms?  Do we still
install the shared libraries?  If so, then we do we not also install the
static archives?  Won't we need them if we want to link something
statically against these libraries?

> pkgsrc complains:
>
> /usr/pkgsrc/wip/gettext-tools/../../mk/scripts/print-la-libnames:
> `lib/libgettextlib.a' was not found
> /usr/pkgsrc/wip/gettext-tools/../../mk/scripts/print-la-libnames:
> `lib/libgettextsrc.a' was not found
> /bin/ls: /usr/lib/libgettextlib.a: No such file or directory
> /bin/ls: /usr/lib/libgettextsrc.a: No such file or directory
>
> Should print-la-libnames make a PLIST entries correctly?

It does, based on the assumption that the .la file holds correct
information.

> Should I install the two files on all platforms?
>
> Should I process the .la files somehow before installation (but after it
> is used) to remove the .a archive entries?
>
> Any other packages have similar behaviour?

If we're going to install the .la files, we need to make sure that they
have correct information.  Otherwise, they're not really serving their
purpose of giving accurate descriptions of the installed libraries to
libtool.  Post-processing the .la files is poor.  If we really don't
want to install those shared libraries, then we should link those
particular libraries with shlibtool instead.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>