Subject: Re: "professionnal" features
To: None <joel@carnat.net>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/04/2005 16:42:42
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 15:13:00 +0200
Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello Joel!

> First, don't take the word "professionnal" to seriously. I just use it
> for a short way to "Working in a prod environment".
>
> So, I'm trying to install a NetBSD server inside our Linux/Gentoo
> farm ;) A few things we're used to do with gentoo seem complicated (as
> it's not the standard way of doing it under NetBSD). Can anyone tell me
> if it's possible and how to :
>
> 1. fetch the initial pkgsrc.tar.gz for a given branch ?
> I know I can get ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc.tar.gz.
> But is there any official pkgsrc-BRANCH.tar.gz to be fetch (rather than
> pkgsrc and then "cvs up -rBRANCH") ?

For pkgsrc there are no exactly the same branching as for NetBSD itself.
It uses quarterly periods instead, AFAIK because pkgsrc framework
supports many platforms and there are no native and hard bindings to
NetBSD. For example, latest *stable* pkgsrc branch named 2005Q1, while
previous one was 2004Q4.

Thus if you wish to get the latest *stable* pkgsrc branch, please use
"pkgsrc-2005Q1" tag, i.e.:

	cvs up -rpkgsrc-2005Q1 -Pd

The 2005Q1 tarball stored as:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/2005Q1/pkgsrc-2005Q1.tar.gz
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/2005Q1/pkgsrc-2005Q1.tar.bz2

The tarball you have downloaded is pkgsrc "current".

> 2. we use a proxy to fetch things from Internet to servers.
> I know I can use mk.conf/wget/proxy and http_proxy/ftp_proxy to fetch
> the tarballs. But how can I synchronise /usr/pkgsrc through a Squid
> proxy ? Gentoo/Linux use rsync (which can be configured in Squid). What
> is NetBSD/pkgsrc options for that (no, SSH to Internet is also prohibited
> ;) ?

pkgsrc uses it's own (lukem)ftp command for fetching. Thus just set
variables "ftp_proxy" and "http_proxy" to the desired values. For
example (for csh):

	setenv ftp_proxy ftp://proxy.your.domain:3128
	setenv http_proxy http://proxy.your.domain:3128

And then use pkgsrc as usual. Please also see pkgsrc documentation at:

	http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/

> As there only be one machine right now, I really need options on those
> two points. Having a central /usr/pkgsrc server with special sync rights
> and that would be NFS server for other NetBSD box is not (yet) the
> solution. I must find a solution as transparent as possible (aka, use of
> proxy as much as possible).

Hope that helps. For NFS you may also wish to use read-only builds...

--
Mishka.