Subject: Re: strange redirection effect accessing
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Georg Schwarz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2005 00:09:59
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > Is anyone able to explain the following difference? Both machines are in
> > the same private subnet behind the same NAT device:
> Same DNS?
> Are you going to the same IP?

Same IP: yes, since it is the one (and only) of the NAT gateway
Same DNS: yes, it is the NAT gateway itself.

Nevertheless it looks like you hit it:

on my SGI I get (to my surprise):

lorenz 8% nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:

as opposed to

lorenz 9% nslookup

Non-authoritative answer:

lorenz 12% cat /etc/resolv.conf

So it is probably an IRIX bug... errr feature
The resolver also tries by partially appending the domain name.

man resolv.conf says:

          Search list for host-name lookup.  The search list is normally
          determined from the local domain name; by default, it begins with
          the local domain name, then successive parent domains that have at
          least two components in their names.  This may be changed by listing
          the desired domain search path following the search keyword with
          spaces or tabs separating the names.

so it is a documented feature, which differs from what I am used to on other

Adding a search statement to resolv.conf solves the issue. It took me over
10 years to come across this :-)
Thanks for the input.

Georg Schwarz  +49 178 8545053