Subject: X11 / pkg library conflicts again
To: None <tech-x11@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/01/2005 13:43:18
After I've updated my laptop to -current, gimp2 doesn't
start anymore.
The reason is that libraries in /usr/X11R6 and /usr/pkg
conflict:

$ ldd /usr/pkg/bin/gimp|grep expat
        -lexpat.0 => /usr/pkg/lib/libexpat.so.0
        -lexpat.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libexpat.so.4
$ ldd /usr/pkg/bin/gimp|grep fontconfig
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1

We had this before, and it was worked around the problem in
ways which are not sustainable obviously.

The only clean solution imho would be to get the X11
versions of these libraries out of reach for pkgsrc
completely. Give them distinguishing names or install
them in a private directory which is only known to the
few X11 apps which are using them.
(same for Xft and freetype)

best regards
Matthias