Subject: Re: teTeX 3.0 packages imported
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/01/2005 04:31:23
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Many people have documents that do not compile (cleanly) using newer
> versions of teTeX.  teTeX2 is not 100% backwards compatible -- and so I
> must assume that teTeX3 won't be either -- which is why I'm strongly
> opposed to removing teTeX1 altogether.

IC, I must have missed this.

I think it's fine to keep teTeX1 in pkgsrc.  My intention is to make the
pkgs prefer one TeX version (which should be pulled in via
pkgsrc/print/teTeX). Pkgs that know they want something else can still
pull in pkgsrc/print/teTeX1-bin.

What I'm working on is changing any pkgs that work ok with teTeX3 to
actually use that as common base, while still allowing teTeX1 if
users prefer to install that.

(I thought about adding a pkgsrc/print/teTeX3 package, which could then be
pulled in from pkgsrc/print/teTeX later, but think that's probably not
worth the effort. Maybe I'm wrong.)

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)