Subject: Re: CATEGORIES for asterisk?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2005 10:25:41
> voip, in parallel to mbone?

VOIP is becoming more important, and surely pkgsrc will grow a lot
more VOIP and related packages in the fairly near future.  So even if
the number currently isn't big enough, it seems less work to make voip
now rather than a move later.

One can also argue for multimedia, but that seems to be more programs
for the proles to watch content than human-human communication.  I'm
not sure where gnomemeeting should go (not in pkgsrc but should be).
Really it and sip phone programs belong in the same place, even if
some programs do video too.

Chat doesn't quite fit, as they are all text.  But, it is likely that
the distinction between text chat and those that support audio, video,
etc. will blur over time.

So I concur with Hubert that voip makes sense, and perhaps the
category description should be

  Voice over IP (including programs that support video or other formats)

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>