Subject: Re: Stopping a common shoot-your-own-foot problem
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/31/2005 10:33:41
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:13:56PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Johnny Lam wrote:
> > If you are sure that you would like to remove db4-4.2.25
> > at this time, please add "db4" to PKG_FORCE_REMOVE in your
> > shell environment, e.g. in Bourne-compatible shells:
> >
> > 	PKG_FORCE_REMOVE="${PKG_FORCE_REMOVE} db4"
> > 	export PKG_FORCE_REMOVE
>
> I don't care much about the details, but I do think that it should
> be difficult to accidentally install a new version of a pkg which is
> incompatible with data files saved by the old version.  Since there's no
> easy way to tell the difference between installing the new version from
> scratch or installing the new version after removing the old version,
> this implies that it should be difficult to deinstall the old version.

The constraint should indeed be on the deinstallation.  Whether you are
upgrading to a newer version or just deinstalling db4, that's the step
where you potentially loose access to your data.

Maybe we should make this a more general framework for known-to-be-
backwards-incompatible packages?

GH

--
:wq