Subject: Kde 3.4 and fontconfig (NetBSD-3.99.1 i386)
To: None <>
From: Sverre Froyen <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/27/2005 10:02:36

With sources from 24 March, I did a complete recompile of the system
(including X) and Kde 3.4 (including sub-packages).  Initially, Kde was
working OK although I did notice jaggedness in most fonts.  I then ran
"fc-cache -f" (from /usr/pkg/bin) and after that, all characters
rendered as empty squares.  Running "/usr/X11R6/bin/fc-cache -f"
corrected the rendering problem.  I looks like fontconfig in X11R6 is
older that fontconfig in pkgsrc ( vs.  The config files are also imcompatible.  It
looks like most Kde applications are using libraries from
both /usr/pkg/lib and from /usr/X11R6/lib.  For instance:

$ ldd /usr/pkg/bin/konsole
        -lz.0 => /usr/lib/
        -lm.0 => /usr/lib/
        -lm.0 => /usr/lib/
        -lpng.3 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lGL.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lX11.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lICE.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lSM.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXt.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXext.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXmu.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXrender.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXrandr.2 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXfixes.0 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXcursor.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXinerama.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lfreetype.6 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lexpat.0 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXft.2 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lstdc++.5 => /usr/lib/
        -lgcc_s.1 => /usr/lib/
        -lpthread.0 => /usr/lib/
        -lqt-mt.3 => /usr/pkg/qt3/lib/
        -lintl.0 => /usr/lib/
        -lDCOP.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lresolv.1 => /usr/lib/
        -lutil.7 => /usr/lib/
        -lart_lgpl_2.2 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkdefx.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkdecore.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkdeui.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkdesu.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkwalletclient.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkio.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkparts.2 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lkdeprint.4 => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lXtst.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lkdeinit_konsole => /usr/pkg/lib/
        -lGL.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXrender.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXrandr.2 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXcursor.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lXft.2 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/
        -lc.12 => /usr/lib/

is referencing in both places and the same for libXft
and libXrender.  In an attempt to provide the applications with a
consistent fontconfig library, I copied the libfontconfig files
from /usr/pkg/lib to /usr/X11R6/lib (obviously a not very elegant

Is my concern about applications using different versions of the same
library a non-issue (but notice the effect of running fc-cache)?

Is there a way to avoid this (besides copying from /usr/pkg/lib
to /usr/X11R6/lib)?

Is the jaggedness that I still observe related to this issue?