Subject: Re: Still a challenge: pkgsrc on IRIX 6.5
To: bsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/25/2005 11:09:54
--fUYQa+Pmc3FrFX/N

Timo Schoeler <wanker4freedom@web.de> wrote:
> >>a short note on my environment:
> >>
> >>IRIX 6.5.25m and gcc, make, binutils etc. installed from
> >>freeware.sgi.com
> >
> >I am note sure, but it might be that pkgsrc on IRIX is configured to=20
> >assume
> >MIPSpro cc.
>=20
> but (as even jan schaumann said) it _should_ run with gcc.=20

Right, if gcc is actually used.  But as you see below, you're actually
invoking the MIPSPro compiler.

> >>-L/usr/pkg/lib) works... no
> >>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> >>cannot create executables.
> >>*** Error code 1
> >
> >what does config.log say?
>=20
> [*] /usr/pkgsrc/devel/patch/work/.wrapper/bin/cc -o conftest -O2=20

That's not config.log -- that's the work log.  config.log is in the
extracted work dir, where the configure script itself is in.  But either
way, this log also tells you exactly what command is invoked:

> <.> /usr/bin/cc -o conftest -O2 -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib=20
> conftest.c -mabi=3Dn32

/usr/bin/cc is quite unlikely to be gcc, and much more likely to be the
MIPSPro compiler.  As such, it will not accept the '-mabi=3Dn32' flag,
since that's a GCC flag.

> jan schaumann said that isn't understood by gcc. i'll receive my=20
> MIPSPro licenses in a few days, but i'd like to be able to use gcc,=20
> too.

You should be able to use gcc by setting

PKGSRC_COMPILER=3Dgcc

in /etc/mk.conf explicitly.

The confusion here comes from the fact that PKGSRC_COMPILER is not set
at all, so gcc is assumed, but at the same time the proper path is not
set and 'cc' is found to be /usr/bin/cc, which is the MIPSPro compiler.

-Jan

P.S.: Let's move this discussion to tech-pkg@, please.

--=20
Information wants to be free.