Subject: Re: mk/bulk/build questions
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2005 08:48:28
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> My guess is if fam is not in those list of 130 pkgs, then the bulk build
> framework won't consider building fam before wv2, explaining the behaviour you
> see.

Actually, if "build -s" is used and one of the *_SPECIFIC_PKGS is set, the
dependencies are automatically factored out into their own builds, not built
inline with their dependents.  There's a dependency-calculation phase which
does this at the beginning.

> > It seems it could be faster if one of the dependencies has a .broken.html
> > file, then it should log that (like it did) but not waste time doing the
> > pkg_add's for the others before that.
>
> Heh, would be nice if, but that's not how pkgsrc works right now: When
> installing depends, it will install one after the other, and then only detect
> the last one failing.

Also if using *_SPECIFIC_PKGS, the bulk build should pre-mark dependents as
broken when a dependency is broken.

I'm wondering perhaps if the FreeBSD "tsort" (no, not "sort") program is not
doing the right thing.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>