Subject: Re: Threading problems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2005 11:15:10
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 10:34:34AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> as you hint, add a rule that every program in pkgsrc that can
>> possibly dlopen anything be linked with pthreads.
>

> This has happened a long time ago, hasn't it?

What pkgsrc actually does is "every program in pkgsrc that can possibly
use dlopen() (either directly or indirectly) is linked with pthreads *on
NetBSD>=2.0 and NetBSD<=2.99.10*.  I believe that NetBSD's native
libpthread and libc were modified in subsequent versions to not require
this.

Admittedly, this test is sub-par since we check for a specific NetBSD
version instead of using a feature-test, so this check breaks for users
whose kernel and userland are not in sync.  However, I couldn't come
with with a reasonable test that didn't require invoking a compiler and
linking a test program.  If anyone knows of a test where I could inspect
a header or look for a library symbol using nm(1), please let me know.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>