Subject: ircd-hybrid on sparc64 NetBSD 2.0 produces "Bus error"
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan Cresawn <cresawn@chass.utoronto.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2005 00:19:31
Hi,

I have an Ultra1 with NetBSD 2.0 which I would like to use as an
office IRC server.  I hope to use ircd-hybrid on this computer but
each attempt yields the same error:

# ./ircd-hybrid -nx 3
WARNING: running ircd as user irc
         and as group irc.
Value of NOFILE is 64
Bus error

To reproduce this error on sparc64 NetBSD 2.0 compile ircd-hybrid from
pkgsrc-2004Q4, pkgsrc-2005Q1 or pkgsrc and then run the daemon
directly as shown above.  Finally, connect to it with any IRC client
or telnet.  The daemon exits in less than a minute with the error
shown above.

I ran ktruss as well to gain some more information and what I found
reveals that after ircd-hybrid writes to the socket that there was no
reponse from ident it then enters a loop calling poll() and
gettimeofday().  It does this many times until it finally produces

20339 ircd-hybrid PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL

If the ktruss output file is useful to anyone I'm happy to provide it.

Ryan