Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/textproc/dict-client
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2005 16:38:25
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:
> It's rather critical to have a front-and-center indicator of whether
> installed files are different.  Otherwise, users having trouble with a
> package will have a much more difficult time trying to communicate which
> "version" of the package is in use.

Yes. Actually, I'd make this the central point to judge if a PKGREVISION
bump is appropriate: If you can/have to tell a user "use THAT (new)
revision" in order to make it differentiate from an old, possibly
buggy/insufficient version, then the bump is justified. For whatever
changes led to the change in behaviour that may be of interest to the
user.

Personally I think trying to list all those possible changes would be too
much, and should be left to developers' judgement. :)

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)