Subject: Re: Some package moves and new categories
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2005 00:08:36
On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 19:12 +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:51:38PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> Let me start with the nitpicks:
>
> > - gtksourceview, which actually lives in x11, could be placed in
> >   editors.  This is a text editor widget for GTK.
>
> A widget is not a (standalone) editor - so the editor category sounds
> wrong. X11 actually sounds fine to me.

It depends on how categories are interpreted.  I see 'editors' as
programs to edit files, as well as supporting utilities, libraries or
whatever else.

As an example, see chat/loudmouth, which is just a library, not a
program to chat.

Otherwise all libraries could end up into devel...  not a good idea.

(Following the comment in x11 strictly, this is misplaced anyway, as it
says "Packages to support the X window system".)

> > - libwnck is actually in devel, but could be in wm.  This is a library
> >   to easily create pagers and tasklisks (IOW, to communicate with the
> >   running window manager).
>
> Sound not like a window manager, so wm would be wrong IMHO.

Same as previous.  You'd interpret 'wm' as window managers and
associated packages (themes, configuration tools, libraries... FWIW, the
first two are already part of the category, explicitly said by its
comment).

> But now to the real point: every damn stupid move will be a major pain
> for people upgrading later.
>
> We have no (semi-)automatic way to track this kind of changes (like
> FreeBSD ports seem to have).
>
> I guess you pkgsrc people do install every pkg from scratch on a regular
> basis - we ordinary users don't. Please keep this in mind (or fix the above
> and enhance pkg_chk to automatically deal with moves.)

Hmm I wasn't aware of that (pkg_chk not handling moves).

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/