Subject: Re: alternates framework question
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2005 12:49:12
On 20-Mar-2005 Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Yes, these problems could be solved.  But they'd also be with syspkgs,
> if we had them ready.  I.e., you'd simply have to remove the "extra"
> packages from the base system and install the replacements you wanted
> from pkgsrc.

I'm not sure that is allways reasonable.  For example.. if I lose all sanity
and want to replace our 'ls' with linux happy colorls, will there be a syspkg
for just 'ls'?

Though if it were in the base system, some method for keeping the original
binaries around would probably have to be invented.. otherwise you couldn't
switch back easily.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/