Subject: Re: Some package moves and new categories
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2005 19:12:50
On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:51:38PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

Let me start with the nitpicks:

> - gtksourceview, which actually lives in x11, could be placed in
>   editors.  This is a text editor widget for GTK.

A widget is not a (standalone) editor - so the editor category sounds
wrong. X11 actually sounds fine to me.

> - libwnck is actually in devel, but could be in wm.  This is a library
>   to easily create pagers and tasklisks (IOW, to communicate with the
>   running window manager).

Sound not like a window manager, so wm would be wrong IMHO.

But now to the real point: every damn stupid move will be a major pain
for people upgrading later.

We have no (semi-)automatic way to track this kind of changes (like
FreeBSD ports seem to have).

I guess you pkgsrc people do install every pkg from scratch on a regular
basis - we ordinary users don't. Please keep this in mind (or fix the above
and enhance pkg_chk to automatically deal with moves.)

Thanks

Martin