Subject: Some package moves and new categories
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2005 15:51:38
Hi all,

for a long time, I've been thinking to move some packages which, IMHO,
are misclassified (or could be in a better place), but never remembered
to sit down to write this email.  Here are my proposed moves:

- gtksourceview, which actually lives in x11, could be placed in
  editors.  This is a text editor widget for GTK.

- libwnck is actually in devel, but could be in wm.  This is a library
  to easily create pagers and tasklisks (IOW, to communicate with the
  running window manager).

- zenity lives in x11; it is a dialog-like program but using GNOME
  widgets.  I think it'd be better placed in misc, just as dialog is.

- bug-buddy is used to report bugs in multiple programs.  It's actually
  in the net category, which makes no sense to me (apart from "sending
  bug reports through the network").  This could go into devel (as in
  "a tool to aid developers by sending bug reports") or misc.

- pango is a text-rendering library.  It's actually in devel, but fonts
  makes more sense (together with Xft2 and fontconfig).

- freetype* is a font-rendering library and is living in graphics.  It
  would be better placed in fonts, just like pango would be (as said
  above).

- GConf* are under devel, but according to their description: "GConf is
  a configuration database system, functionally similar to the Windows
  registry but lots better".  Isn't it calling for sysutils?

- nss and nspr were added recently into devel, but they should be in
  security, just as openssl or gnutls.

Before continuing... any objections about these?

Aside these moves, I think we'd add some more categories to rearrange
things a bit better, and cleanup the existing ones.  Many programs are
put in a "best-fit-in-what-we-already-have" category, although it
doesn't really match their functionality.  So here are some proposals:

- accessibility: Holding accessibility programs and libraries.  Some
  candidates include gok, gnome-mag, gnopernicus, atk, gail and
  libgail-gnome.

- themes: A place to put all these packages providing themes for
  multiple applications (be it GNOME, XMMS, KDE, GTK or whatever).
  Putting them under x11 (or even wm) is ugly (and we already have a
  bunch there).  Given that we will keep adding theme packages, it'd be
  better if they were easy to find and correctly classified in a
  centralized place.

Any comments about these?

If there are no objections, I offer to do all the above after the freeze
ends.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>