Subject: Re: alternates framework question
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/20/2005 12:22:47
On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 15:28 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > > Can the "alternates" (alternatives?) framework be used to replace system
> > > components, e.g. so that "lp" really comes from the cups pkg (when
> > > installed) instead of /usr/bin/lp? If so, how?
> >
> > Nope.  That'd be neat, but to achieve that, pkg_alternatives should be
> > part of the base system, providing links for lp.  In that case, it could
> > even replace mailwrapper...
>
> Why not make it so? (serious!)

Well, I'm not against it.  But see below.

> Smells like we could solve a number of problems that way.
> (Thinking of ssh upgrades, that ftpd fix some time ago which was
> recommended to be done via pkgsrc, cups/lp, lprng, openssl, ...).

Yes, these problems could be solved.  But they'd also be with syspkgs,
if we had them ready.  I.e., you'd simply have to remove the "extra"
packages from the base system and install the replacements you wanted
from pkgsrc.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/