Subject: Switching gaim to nss (was Re: pkg/28690)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2005 18:33:43
On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 17:06 +0000, jmmv@netbsd.org wrote:
> Synopsis: Gaim 1.1.0 hangs on "gnutls: Handshaking" when using MSN protocol
>
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: pkg-manager->jmmv
> Responsible-Changed-By: jmmv@netbsd.org
> Responsible-Changed-When: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:06:25 +0000
> Responsible-Changed-Why:
> I'll handle this one (after the freeze).

Summarizing the above PR: it provides a patch to switch gaim to use nss
instead of gnutls, as the latter causes problems in NetBSD 1.6.x (due to
non-native threads, I'd say).

At first, I was a bit skeptic about this because I thought nss was a big
dependency (mixing thoughts with mozilla...).  But after trying it
myself, it seems to be quite small, and gaim is working nicely here
after applying the patch (in fact, no visible difference from gnutls).

A good reason to applying it may be that the gaim-encryption plugin
already uses nss, so if you install both gaim and gaim-encryption, you'd
end up with two different ssl libraries installed (and loaded at the
same time by the same program).

So, are there any objections to this change?  If not, I will apply it,
possibly before the freeze finishes (as it should be really fixing a
problem in some systems).

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>