Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050312T205733@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2005 14:03:06
[ On Saturday, March 12, 2005 at 21:09:42 (-0800), Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
>
> Thanks.  I rebuild the world periodically but the log file is always
> several 10's of megs.  Often I can't even view the file in emacs due
> to emacs's vm issues.  I doubt very much I'd ever see a note buried 10
> megs into a 20 meg file.  Spot checking the file is usually done by
> grep-ing for the string "stopped in".
>
> How do other folks deal with such issues?

Always check for important messages _after_ you've installed a package,
not during the install:

$ /usr/sbin/pkg_info -D firefox-gtk2
Information for firefox-gtk2-1.0nb2:

Install notice:
$NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.3 2004/09/07 06:03:55 xtraeme Exp $

If you have ever run another version of firefox or firefox-gtk2, you
must remove compreg.dat under your firefox profile before you run firefox.

     e.g. rm ~/.mozilla/firefox/*/compreg.dat

(of course that should probably be "# rm /home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/compreg.dat" :-)

(and yes, the fact that any modern browser package still suffers from
this kind of extreme brain damage is atrocious)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>