Subject: Re: New AIX transforms
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Peter Schmiedeskamp <pschmied@yahoo.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2005 06:32:02
Thanks for the reply, Tim.

I'll try to figure out how to modify the transform to
purge the -Werror from the build.  If/when I have
success, I'll submit a patch.

I'll also try to figure out what is happening with
respect to the gen-reorder script not making it into
the build tree.  Is there any documentation that
describes the transform process and the copying of
these files?  Failing that, could you give me a
pointer or two to get me started?

Finally, my CONFIG_SHELL=bash line is there to
fix/speed up various builds.  In particular, building
gcc using ksh as the config shell takes several times
longer than using bash.  The GNU people mention this
on this page:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html

It would appear that under AIX 5.3 you run into one of
those "disastrous corner-case performance problems"
with ksh.  I'm not sure about AIX 5.1, although I
could probably test that.

Thanks for the work you've put into this.  Anybody who
compiles software on AIX with any frequency owes you
and Grant a beer.

-Peter

http://www.garbled.net/bulk/hamal/bulk/hamal/20050312.1324/broken.html