Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/12/2005 21:09:42 (Frederick Bruckman) writes:
> In article <>,
> 	"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <> writes:
>> It seems that 1) firefox has some machine or os dependent crap in the
>> config directory and 2) it also appears to ether have some
>> version-specific crap in there, (or perhaps it just retains bad state
>> from some previous crash.)  In any case periodic deletions of the
>> config directory might be in order.
> "Version-specific crap", yes. The package build ends with a stern warning
> to delete "compreg.dat" from your profile directory..., which could be
> easily overlooked, and which you might not see at all if you're not the
> administrator who installed it. The firefox folks really should fix that.

Thanks.  I rebuild the world periodically but the log file is always
several 10's of megs.  Often I can't even view the file in emacs due
to emacs's vm issues.  I doubt very much I'd ever see a note buried 10
megs into a 20 meg file.  Spot checking the file is usually done by
grep-ing for the string "stopped in".

How do other folks deal with such issues?