Subject: Re: firefox 1.0.1 behaviour changed badly on current/i386
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2005 12:12:36
George Michaelson <> writes:
> firefox-1.0.1 native build, gtk and non-gtk is behaving a bit badly for me:

Firefox started behaving a lot better for me after I did an:

         rm -rf ~/.firefox ~/.mozilla

For some reason firefox really didn't want to share the config
directory (at that time ~/.firefox) between openbsd-current/amd64 and
netbsd-current/i386.  The config directory was an old one generated by
pre-1.0 firefox on the openbsd box.  When I tried to run firefox on
netbsd it simply exited with no messages.  After deleting ~/.firefox,
firefox on netbsd created ~/.mozilla/firefox, but now running it under
openbsd caused firefox to exit immediately.  Deleting the new config
directory again and starting it on openbsd I noticed that firefox was
quite a bit more stable than it was running with the old config
directory.  I still couldn't run it on both systems, but at least it
stopped exiting every time I sneezed.

It seems that 1) firefox has some machine or os dependent crap in the
config directory and 2) it also appears to ether have some
version-specific crap in there, (or perhaps it just retains bad state
from some previous crash.)  In any case periodic deletions of the
config directory might be in order.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht