Subject: Re: mkisofs file size limit
To: Dieter Baron <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/10/2005 08:03:20
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Dieter Baron wrote:

> : Is there any way I can get round the file size limit of 0x7FFFFFFF?
>   Install sysutils/cdrtools-ossdvd, the mkisofs from that package can
> store files up to 4GB in size.

Provided the OS reading the file is happy with it.

> : What determines this limit?
>   It's the largest size that can be represented as a signed 32 bit
> value, and some people seem to think the size field in ISO 9660 file
> systems is a signed value; playing it save, I guess.

Many ISO9660 client implementations still use a signed 32-bit int, so 2GB is
indeed the practical limit for a file in such a filesystem.  There's a
reason that DVD video discs limit VOBs to 1GB each; the splitting was deemed
necessary to keep them well within the ISO9660 safety limits.

Above 2GB, UDF is the only truly compatible choice, and ISO9660 is out the
window altogether.

-- Todd Vierling <> <>