Subject: Re: CFLAGS vs. CPPFLAGS?
To: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/08/2005 18:25:00
On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 18:14 +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> If one wants to hand over some defines (i.e. -D...) to the build
> process, should this be done using CFLAGS or with CPPFLAGS?
> The latter seems to be the more appropriate choice at first glance since
> defines are handled by the C preprocessor. However, since there seems to
> be a variable NO_EXPORT_CPP, can one be sure it is actually passed to
> the build process?

Yes, they are, generally.  It all depends on the build infrastructure
of the original package.  E.g., autoconf and automake respect it, so it
will work just fine if you add -D and -I flags to CPPFLAGS (as they
should be, semantically).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/