Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/05/2005 10:29:37
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 16:41 +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> If not, we need to figure out a) where it should go, and b) when to
> do it. I'm entirely open on question a, though I would tend to say
> ${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkgdb, since these are essentially configuration
> information about what's under LOCALBASE, just like, say, /etc/release.
> (I know that not everybody agrees with me that persistant configuration
> information belongs in /etc.) As to when, I'd like to see it in the 3.0
> release, though I wonder if we have enough time for this.

Not under etc, please.  First of all because nothing should use
${LOCALBASE}/etc directly.  And placing it under ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}
could leave us with the previous scheme we had (files outside LOCALBASE
in several systems.

Furthermore, I don't see them as configuration files; they are extra
information associated with the installed packages.  And you should
never have to modify them by hand.  So this is why I proposed libdata:
because it's extra information used by some tools which the user should
not edit directly.  (We are already using that hierarchy for multiple
packages, following this rationale.)

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -