Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/05/2005 10:29:37
On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 16:41 +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> If not, we need to figure out a) where it should go, and b) when to
> do it. I'm entirely open on question a, though I would tend to say
> ${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkgdb, since these are essentially configuration
> information about what's under LOCALBASE, just like, say, /etc/release.
> (I know that not everybody agrees with me that persistant configuration
> information belongs in /etc.) As to when, I'd like to see it in the 3.0
> release, though I wonder if we have enough time for this.

Not under etc, please.  First of all because nothing should use
${LOCALBASE}/etc directly.  And placing it under ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR}
could leave us with the previous scheme we had (files outside LOCALBASE
in several systems.

Furthermore, I don't see them as configuration files; they are extra
information associated with the installed packages.  And you should
never have to modify them by hand.  So this is why I proposed libdata:
because it's extra information used by some tools which the user should
not edit directly.  (We are already using that hierarchy for multiple
packages, following this rationale.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/