Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/05/2005 16:41:17
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

>> I'll not quibble over the actual new location of the package database.
>> The important property under consideration is that it's somewhere
>> under ${LOCALBASE}, and I'm sure there will be a long thread to decide
>> where exactly this will be.
> Anyway, I don't care that much about the exact location, so I could
> live with any of those to (or possibly any other that pops up).

Well, to get at least one bit tied up, is there anybody who disagrees that
we should move the default database directory to be under LOCALBASE?

If not, we need to figure out a) where it should go, and b) when to
do it. I'm entirely open on question a, though I would tend to say
${LOCALBASE}/etc/pkgdb, since these are essentially configuration
information about what's under LOCALBASE, just like, say, /etc/release.
(I know that not everybody agrees with me that persistant configuration
information belongs in /etc.) As to when, I'd like to see it in the 3.0
release, though I wonder if we have enough time for this.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA