Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 21:19:23
On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 06:36 +0000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 02:56:25PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> >
> [proposal for putting package database files under ${LOCALBASE}]
>
> I completely agree with your proposal for all of the reasons that you
> cite.  The location of the package database in /var/db/pkg is historic.
> It's where FreeBSD put their ports database files and NetBSD's
> pkg_install tools trace their heritage to FreeBSD's same tools.

I agree too.

> I'll not quibble over the actual new location of the package database.
> The important property under consideration is that it's somewhere
> under ${LOCALBASE}, and I'm sure there will be a long thread to decide
> where exactly this will be.

I think so :-/  FWIW, I've been using ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/pkgdb for a
while.  Having it at the toplevel (such as ${LOCALBASE}/.pkgdb) seems
somewhat strange to me; consider having LOCALBASE=/ and the database
being directly on /.pkgdb.

Anyway, I don't care that much about the exact location, so I could
live with any of those to (or possibly any other that pops up).

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/