Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: Jachym Holecek <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 10:11:41
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Jachym Holecek wrote:

> > You're right, and the package tools could do that automatically. Or perhaps
> > it's fine if they just ask the user to run the tool, if there's any doubt.
> Just one thing -- some scripts under /var/db/pkg/*/ hardcode the value
> of LOCALBASE. Would this be a problem if the directory is NFS-shared
> between multiple hosts, each of them having different LOCALBASE setting?

This is a widespread thing.  Many, many software packages hardcode their
install paths, and fixing them is a one-package-at-a-time process.

That aside, you should never try to use a pkg directory in this way.  Even
if we fixed lots of packages to have a "dynamic" LOCALBASE, we rely on the
"rpath" feature of some shared object systems (ELF in particular) to make
shared libraries locateable properly at run time.  This means that LOCALBASE
*must not* change from install time to run time.  ( hacks may work
for some cases, but they definitely will not work for all of them.)

-- Todd Vierling <> <>