Subject: kde won't work on xorg 6.8.2
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: mark <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 12:39:39
Hi list.

Ive just installed xorg 6.8.2 and have rebuilt all my packages.
All X applications work fine except i now can't start kde.

My problem seems related to the dcopserver and kde thread however i am
getting different symptoms.

My machine uses kdm and i have two users set up. When i try to log in as
user A the kde splash screen comes up, it gets half way through and
dumps me back to kdm.

If i log in as user B i get no splash and just an xterm in the lower
right corner with no window manager. Running startkde from here fails.

It appears that user A fails due to /tmp/.ICE-unix being owned by the
user and not root. If i chown root .ICE-unix then i can log in via kdm
and calling startx (with startkde in my .xinitrc). This also works for
user B.

I have no idea why when logging in to user B from kdm the startkde
script is not run.

I have removed /usr/X11R6/bin from my path and replaced it
with /usr/pkg/xorg/bin.

All packages were built from pkgsrc updated last night.

Does anyone have any ideas? I suppose i can all ways revert back to
XFree4.4.0.

Thanks in advance

Mark.