Subject: Re: Changing from /var/db/pkg
To: Curt Sampson <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2005 12:34:04
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Curt Sampson wrote:
>> (How) would the transition happen in an environment that only uses binary
>> pkgs, and no pkgsrc at all?
> As far as I can tell, you could just move the directories and files
> under /var/db/pkg to some other place.

You can do a lot, but will the installed pkg_* tools care?
At the very least, users need to set some variable, or update their pkg_*
tools. (No idea how to do the latter in a binary-only scenario)

> Are there some packages with
> files under there that are dependent on their own location?

I have no idea.

My concern is just to make sure you don't break binary-pkg-only setups.

  - Hubert

NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)