Subject: Re: internal or external dependencies?
To: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2005 21:05:49
brook@biology.nmsu.edu wrote:
> I am working on some packages that provide their own versions of
> certain libraries that are also in pkgsrc.  Is it generally preferable
> to build such packages with the internally supplied libraries or with
> external dependencies on the rest of pkgsrc?

Hi Brook,

I've come across this myself and I'd typically recommend using the
package in pkgsrc as a dependency if it already exists.  It will make
your life easier as you can use things like the buildlink3 framework to
make sure your program spots all the right libraries/headers etc. in the
right places.

But you can often get bitten when a developer will grab a piece of
software they need, hack it, and then pack it in with their software.
If you depend on the pkgsrc version you may miss any custom hacks they
have done.

Also watch out for strict dependencies where a piece of software will
need an _exact_ version of a dependent package.  Just make sure you
specify your DEPENDS and/or BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.* correctly.

HTH,

adrian.